Sunday, April 14, 2013

Beautiful Visual Proof of Pythagorean Theorem

The Ontario Science Centre used to have a visual proof of the Pythgorean Theorem. When I took my grades 9 and 10 applied mathematics class to the Ontario Science Centre, I searched a long time to find this beautiful display - it was removed. The visual proof really convinces students that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (i.e., the water in the "a" square + the water in the "b" square equals the water in the "c" square.

From: http://www.magicalmaths.org/starter-showing-a-visual-proof-of-pythagoras-theorem/

Starter showing a visual proof of Pythagoras’ Theorem

This is a great Maths Starter or Plenary showing a visual proof of Pythagoras’ theorem. I normally show this after the lesson where I have shown learners an algebraic proof Pythagoras’ theorem. There are several versions of this proof available on you tube, one even using sand and can be found easily by doing a search. This animation is useful for lower sets as I find graphical representations tend to engage low ability learners a lot more.

I am in the process of getting our design technology department to create one of these or I might plan a lesson where I will get learners to create one in a Maths lesson. If anyone is successful in designing a lesson around this animated proof then please do let me know @magicalmaths. Feel free to download and embed into your powerpoints or flipcharts but I can not take credit for this video as I am not sure who created it.

No comments:

Post a Comment